60ml olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
1 tin San Marzano tomatoes
1. Bring a large pan of generously salted water to the boil in readiness for cooking the pasta.
2. Place a wide saucepan over a low-medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the chillies, which
should, at most, very gently sizzle (if the pan is a bit hot, turn the heat down).
3. Add the garlic and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. When the garlic
starts to brown remove and discard.
4. Add the San Marzano tomatoes, and as they start to cook, crush with the back of a spoon and
stir well. Simmer the sauce gently for 30 minutes, until it has reduced and emulsified to a
deep glossy red.
5. Cook the pasta al dente, around 7-9 minutes - be careful not to overcook the pasta
as it will continue cooking in the heat of the sauce.
6. Drain the pasta, add to the tomato sauce and stir well. Keeping the heat on underneath the
sauce, cook for 2 minutes. Taste for salt add, a little more if you need to, and serve.